Uncooperative Spouse Divorce

If you want a divorce, but your spouse is uncooperative, do not worry. Since Tennessee is a no-fault state which allows one spouse to file for divorce on the grounds that the marriage partners have irreconcilable differences, even if the other spouse is opposed to the divorce. The paperwork that begins this process is called a Request for Divorce (Complaint). The Complaint along with certain other documents, must be properly served on the uncooperative spouse by either sheriff or process server. If the spouse fails to respond to the Complaint within 30 days, then you can request a default judgment.

The default process begins in Tennessee with completing a Motion for Default Judgment and an Order Granting Default Judgment and serving the motion on your spouse. You must write the date of service on both documents and file the motion with the court. You will receive a hearing date, during which you will bring the Order Granting Default Judgment for the judge to sign. A spouse cannot force you to stay married to them.

If you do not reach an agreement, our team of legal attorneys is prepared to offer tailored assistance in navigating through these complexities. With a solid expertise in both contested and uncontested divorces, we are committed to securing your interests.

We fully understand that every situation is unique, and so we offer personalized advice, taking into consideration all the specifics of your case. We will walk you through each step of the process, providing clear and comprehensive guidance to alleviate the emotional and financial strains of divorce.

Moreover, we highly value the potential of mediation and negotiation, and we will work diligently to help you reach an agreement with your spouse in order to avoid costly litigation, wherever possible. Our firm is highly experienced in facilitating communication between parties and reaching amicable resolutions, always with your best interest at heart.

Remember, our primary goal is to help you move forward from this challenging period in your life with confidence, security, and peace of mind. Reach out to us today at [email protected] for a consultation, and let us provide the compassionate, experienced representation you need and deserve during your divorce proceedings.